- Course Details
Painting & Decorating Certificate Level 1 - Full Time
Save as PDF
If you would like to Apply, Enrol or Enquire, please add the Course to your basket by
clicking on the appropriate icon. (If there is more than one course,
select the Course with the start date that suits you):
|Construction Skills (Painting and Decorating) Certificate Level 1 (Year 1)||07/09/2020||02/07/2021||Stephenson College - Coalville||
Will I have to pay? You may be able to
get a refund for all or part of the fees for your course if you are eligible. Please
look at the following link for more information:
Will I have to pay fees?
16-18 Students (Age at 31st August)
19-23 Students (Age at 31st August)
- Students studying their first level 2 course
- Students studying their first level 3 course (Some level 3 courses are not included, so please check with Student Services)
- Unemployed, looking for work and on an acceptable benefit studying a level 1 or 2 course (see list of benefits below)
24+ Students (Age at 31st August)
- Unemployed, looking for work and on an acceptable benefit studying a level 1 course (see list of benefits below)
- Unemployed, looking for work and on an acceptable benefit studying a level 2 course (see list of benefits below)
- Apprenticeships are free of charge for the learner (you are actually paid a salary!)
- There is no upper age restriction to enrol onto an Apprenticeship programme, so long as you are 16+ years old.
- Working hours are usually between 30-40 hours per week which includes your release to College.
- There may be a fee for the employer willing to support you, but this depends on a few factors.
Please contact 01530 519 001 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions regarding an Apprenticeship programme.
List of benefits
- Jobseeker's Allowance
- ESA (WRAG) (Work Related Activity Group)
- Universal Credit (Must be unemployed and required to undertake skills training)
- Wider Benefits – see list below
Wider benefits that are acceptable
In all cases the learner must:
- Be unemployed (i.e. not in any paid employment)
- Want to enter employment but need skills training to do so
- Sign the waiver agreement confirming the above
- Show current proof of the benefit
Child Tax Credit
Child's Special Allowance
Council Tax Benefit, administered by local authorities
Disability Living Allowance [Being replaced by Personal Independent Payments] (If paid to learner)
Graduated retirement benefit
Housing Benefit, administered by local authorities
Pensions payable under the Industrial Death Benefit scheme
Reduced Earnings Allowance, see industrial disablement benefit above
Retirement Allowance, see industrial disablement benefit above
War Widow's pension
Widowed Parent's Allowance
Working Tax Credit. (If paid to spouse, not the learner)
Reference: Funding Rules Version 2020-21
Advanced Learning Loan - Information on ways to fund your level 3 or above qualification -
More information about this Course
This qualification has been developed for delivery in a training environment; this means that you do not need to be employed to study this qualification. It has been designed to develop your skills, knowledge and understanding so you can progress to further training at level 2.
The Level 1 Certificate in Painting & Decorating is aimed at learners who are able to commit to a more substantial qualification and wish to use this to prepare for, and progress to, the next level of learning ultimately leading to entering a job role in that area
What Qualifications Or Experience Do I Need?
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification, however you will need to complete an interview and English and Maths assessment and be able to demonstrate the ability to work at level 1. During the interview you will also be asked to complete some practical diagnostics to ascertain suitability for the programme.
How Long Is The Course?
What Will I Learn?
If you undertake this Level 1 Certificate in Painting & Decorating you will cover knowledge in three core subject areas:
- Health, safety and welfare
- Technical information, quantities and communication
- Knowledge of construction technology
You will also learn key practical skills and knowledge in:
- Erect and dismantle access equipment and working platforms
- Prepare common surface types for decoration
- Apply basic paint systems by brush and roller
- Apply foundation and plain papers
- Produce standard decorative finishes
You will also complete the Level 1 Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment, upon full completion this enables you to apply for a construction operative card, enabling you to work on site. If you are 16-18 you will also be required to complete further Maths and English until you reach level 4 (C Grade). 16-18 years olds are also required to complete a work placement and the college has many exciting opportunities for this which are related to the vocational subjects studied by our learners.
How Will I Learn?
The course is delivered through practical workshop sessions, theory sessions and real life community projects.
How Will I Be Assessed?
Assessment is completed by practical synoptic end tests and examination.
Where Could This Course Lead To?
The course will provide you with the necessary skills, training and knowledge to allow you to progress onto the Painting & Decorating Diploma Level 2 or to become an Apprentice Painter & Decorator.
Full Time & Part Time