- Course Details
Hair and Media Make-Up Level 2
Save as PDF
If you would like to Apply, Enrol or Enquire, please add the Course to your basket by
clicking on the appropriate icon. (If there is more than one course,
select the Course with the start date that suits you):
|Hair and Media Make-Up Diploma Level 2||30/08/2022||30/06/2023||Melton Campus||
Will I have to pay? You may be able to
get a refund for all or part of the fees for your course if you are eligible. Please
look at the following link for more information:
Will I have to pay fees?
16-18 Students (Age at 31st August)
19-23 Students (Age at 31st August)
- Students studying their first level 2 course (Some level 2 courses are not included, so please check with Student Services)
- Students studying their first level 3 course (Some level 3 courses are not included, so please check with Student Services)
- Unemployed, looking for work and on an acceptable benefit studying a level 1 or 2 course (see list of benefits below)
24+ Students (Age at 31st August)
- Unemployed, looking for work and on an acceptable benefit studying a level 1 course (see list of benefits below)
- Unemployed, looking for work and on an acceptable benefit studying a level 2 course (see list of benefits below)
- Apprenticeships are free of charge for the learner (you are actually paid a salary!)
- There is no upper age restriction to enrol onto an Apprenticeship programme, so long as you are 16+ years old.
- Working hours are usually between 30-40 hours per week which includes your release to College.
- There may be a fee for the employer willing to support you, but this depends on a few factors.
Please contact 01530 519 001 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions regarding an Apprenticeship programme.
List of benefits
- Jobseeker's Allowance
- ESA (WRAG) (Work Related Activity Group)
- Universal Credit (Must be unemployed and required to undertake skills training)
- Wider Benefits – see list below
Wider benefits that are acceptable
In all cases the learner must:
- Be unemployed (i.e. not in any paid employment)
- Want to enter employment but need skills training to do so
- Sign the waiver agreement confirming the above
- Show current proof of the benefit
Child Tax Credit
Child's Special Allowance
Council Tax Benefit, administered by local authorities
Disability Living Allowance [Being replaced by Personal Independent Payments] (If paid to learner)
Graduated retirement benefit
Housing Benefit, administered by local authorities
Pensions payable under the Industrial Death Benefit scheme
Reduced Earnings Allowance, see industrial disablement benefit above
Retirement Allowance, see industrial disablement benefit above
War Widow's pension
Widowed Parent's Allowance
Working Tax Credit. (If paid to spouse, not the learner)
Reference: Funding Rules Version 2020-21
Advanced Learning Loan - Information on ways to fund your level 3 or above qualification -
More information about this Course
This course is ideal for anyone who is looking to enter the media industry as a make-up artist. You will learn about both hair and make-up in relation to the media industry.
Promotion is an important part of this qualification, in addition to client care, detailed consultation, and health and safety. To maximise the skills of our students, they are required to complete work experience in our on-site salons and at a local salon.
It is important that students gain as many employability skills as possible to prepare them for entering the world of work. Here at SMB College Group we offer an excellent enrichment programme which includes opportunities to attend talks from visiting guest speakers and trainers from the industry. Students are also able to attend The Clothes Show and a number of trade shows throughout the year (some additional charges will apply).
Our Hair and Media Make-Up students also benefit from working alongside our Creative Media and Performing Arts departments. This gives students numerous opportunities to do the hair and make-up of cast members for a number of productions, boosting their assessment opportunities and broadening their experience, communication, and creative skills.
Students at this level will have the opportunity to do an additional qualification in either Level 2 Barbering or Level 2 Indian Head massage. These short qualifications give our students a wider range of salon-relevant skills, thereby increasing their employability.
What Qualifications Or Experience Do I Need?
4 GCSEs at Grade D/3, or Level 1 Hair and Media Make-up (or similar) with Merit grade.
Learners with lower grades or relevant experience will be considered subject to an additional assessment and/or supporting reference from their school or employer.
If you miss the English and/or Maths requirements of your course, don’t worry – there are options to study these alongside your course.
How Long Is The Course?
What Will I Learn?
Typical modules include: Health, Safety and Hygiene; Make-Up Application; Hair Preparation Services; Planning for Make-Up Services; Dress and Finish Hair Services; Anatomy and Physiology for Make-Up Artists; Total Look for Competition Work; Face and Body Art Painting; Fashion and Editorial Make-Up.
Where Could This Course Lead To?
Learners may wish to further their skills by progressing onto Level 3 Theatrical and Media Make-Up course. Alternatively, students may wish to progress into employment within the hair, beauty and media make-up industry.